• Welcome to the Dothan City Schools!

    We want to welcome you to our school system and make your transition as easy as possible.  Below you will find some Questions and Answers to assist as you move into our school system.  If you have any further questions and/or need further information, please contact our Central Office at 334-793-1397. 

    Central Office is located at 1665 Honeysuckle Road, Dothan, Alabama 36305

    Q. Where and How do I enroll my child in school? 

    You will enroll your child in the school that you are zoned for, based on your street address.  Please click the Zoning Link HERE to find your street address with school zone listings.  Once you locate the school zone for your child, you will go to the school office between 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday to enroll. 

    We request a copy of the following for each child enrolling -

    Child's Birth Certificate

    Social Security Card

    Immunization Record (Blue Form) which if needed can be obtained at the Houston County Health Department or your child's physician.

    Proof of residency (Utility Bill, Lease, Phone Bill, etc.). 

    Student records from previous school, if they released them to you.

    If you are enrolling during holiday weeks or Summer break, you may want to call the school office to make sure someone will be available to assist you.

    Q.  Who can enroll the child in school? 

    Only the Parent(s)/Legal Guardian or Custodian of the child may enroll the child in Dothan City Schools. The enrolling parent/guardian/custodian shall reside in the attendance zone in which enrollment is sought. The student being enrolled must actually reside with the individual completing the enrollment.

    Q. What can the students wear to school?   

    Please review the Dothan City Schools Student Dress Code... Click Here

    Q.  What are the rules for elementary students and high school students? 

    The Student Code of Conduct has all of the rules and policies for students from elementary, middle, and high school.  Please review the code of conduct.... Click Here

    Q.  Can I pay for lunch online?  How do I apply for Free/Reduced Lunch? 

    Parents can now use a secure online payment portal to put funds into their children's school meal account in real time and view student meal activity. Payments are made instantaneously to the Point of Sale terminal. All adjustments and transactions can be viewed by the parent.

    Please use the following link to myschoolbucks.com to set up your new online payment account.

    Free and Reduced Lunch Applications
    Free and Reduced Lunch Applications for Dothan City Schools can now be found online. Visit https://www.myschoolapps.com/  to complete your online application.

    How to Apply
    For further information and instructions on completing applications for free or reduced meals, see How to Apply For the Current Year.

    Menus are located HERE

    Meal Prices are located HERE

    If your child has a special dietary need, please contact your school nurse to complete a Diet Prescription Form.

    Q.  Will a school bus pick up my child?

    Yes, Dothan City Schools Transportation Department will transport your child to and from school.  Once you register/enroll your child in school, you will receive a Transportation Form to complete showing the address and home location.  At that time, you will be assigned a bus number and time of arrival for pick up and return of your child.   To view bus routes, visit - BUS ROUTES.

    Q.  Is there a School Nurse at every school?

    Dothan City Schools employees Registered and Licensed Practical Nurses and all schools are covered with full time or part time school nurses.  If your child requires a special medical procedure, the child’s physician will need to provide medical orders for your child’s care.  Please notify the school upon enrollment so the nurse and lead school nurse can plan for your child's arrival and ensure a smooth transition to your new school.  The school’s office personnel will provide you the contact information for your child’s assigned school nurse.

    If your child receives medicaiton, he/she will receive medication from a school nurse nurse or a trained medication assistant. The school nurses are required to follow the Alabama Board of Nursing and the State Department of Education standards and guidelines in order to administer medications in the schools. All medication assistants receive a maximum of 12 hours medication training before permission is granted to assist with medication administration.  A Prescriber/Parent Authorization Form must be signed before a child may receive prescription medication. The Prescriber/ Parent Authorization form is on the Health Services Section of this website. Click HERE.....

    Q. My child has an IEP, what do I do? 

    Dothan City Schools will continue to provide special education services to students who transfer into the district with an active Individualized Education Plan (IEP). To help make this transition as smooth as possible, it is important to provide a copy of your child's most recent IEP and evaluation at registration, if the information is available.   If the IEP is available, it will be implemented as written (including services comparable to those in the IEP from the previous school).  Additional records, if needed, will be requested from the previous school.  A special education teacher will contact the parent/guardian to schedule a meeting to review these services and determine if further evaluations are needed to meet the Alabama Administrative Code (AAC) criteria.

    Q. How can I check my child's grades and attendance? 

    Dothan City Schools use the Chalkable school information system for recording grades and attendance.  You will email a request for a parent login to portaladmin@dothan.k12.al.us.  You will need to send the Parent(s) Name, Student(s) Name, School(s) Name.  Once the request is received and processed, you will receive a login and instructions via email.

    Please protect this confidential information. Should you misplace it, you must request it in person through the email address. No passwords will be provided over the phone.

    Q. Who should I contact if I have a problem?

    If you feel that your child is having difficulty in any particular class, please contact the teacher to schedule an appointment. If the problem is occurring outside of the classroom - on the bus or in the cafeteria, please contact the principal.