How Parents Can Promote Student Success?How can Parents Promote Student Success?
Parents play a key role in ensuring that their child or adolescent achieves school success. When parents, students, and staff work together, the student will obtain his/her academic goals. Some of the actions that parents can take to promote school success are:
* communicate with school staff to be aware of
* review your child’s homework
* encourage your child to be friends with
positive role models
* try to do something enjoyable with your child
at least once a week
* set clear expectations for students about
* get acquainted with your child’s teachers
* monitor where your child goes/information
keeps your child out of trouble
* communicate with school staff when there is
a concern with the school
* attend school functions such as conferences,
programs, and athletic events
* encourage students to participate in school-
related after-school activities
* consistently enforce household rules
* set aside a time when the whole family reads
* encourage students to talk about school, social
activities, and their interests
* teach standards of right and wrong and
demonstrate these standards
* provide a quiet place where your child can
* support school discipline policies
* talk to your child about tobacco, drugs,
alcohol, gangs, and violence
* monitor your child’s choices of TV programs,
video games and music
The 4 C's of Counseling:
Counseling is available to individual students, parents, and small groups.
Consulting takes place between counselors and teachers/parents.
Coordinating the efforts of school personnel and community agencies is a function of the counselor.
Classroom guidance lessons follow a curriculum which is developed and based on Alabama standards of learning.