Operations & Facilities
All teachers and students are expected to limit visits to another classroom outside of their team or grade level. Employees are expected to disinfect their own personal workspace (teacher desk, phone, etc.) throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces. All classroom desks and tables will be sanitized on a daily basis by night custodians. The teacher will be given spray bottles and a trowel with a microfiber pad to wipe down surfaces during the day. Social distancing will be practiced when feasible.
Employees are expected to disinfect their own workspace multiple times throughout the day, giving special attention to commonly touched surfaces. DCS has hand sanitizer stations throughout the workplace and in common areas. Cleaning sprays and wipes are also available to clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as telephones and keyboards. The DCS Custodial Team will clean all workspaces at their designated cleaning time unless extenuating circumstances arise that require more frequent cleaning. Secretary/Main Office Staff and Media Specialist stations will have plexiglass partitions installed on their desk to assist with the social distancing from parents and students. Maintenance will be installing Ozone machines/air scrubbers in all vestibules, gyms, media centers, cafeterias, auditoriums, nurses stations, and the front offices at each school.*
*Please note that proper equipment such as acceptable disinfectant and PPE should be used when cleaning individual workspaces.
There will be limited access to certain workspaces such as the copy room and office area to reduce exposure to risks and ensure employee safety.
The safety of our employees and students are our first priority. Upon reopening, our schools will have been completely cleaned and disinfected, and we will continue to adhere to all necessary safety precautions. In addition to the cleaning of the office and school before employees and students return, the cleaning steps outlined below are to be taken to disinfect workplace surfaces, chairs, tables, etc. to protect employees and reduce the risk of spreading the infection. We will require employees to maintain this safety standard by continuously cleaning and disinfecting based on the frequency stated below.
- Custodians will wipe the door handles at all entryways numerous times throughout the day.
- Front offices and nurses’ stations will be sprayed with a small handheld fogger nightly.*
- The restrooms will be fogged with the handheld fogger device twice during the day and once at night.*
- The night shift custodian will spray the playground equipment with a backpack fogger to sanitize all the equipment.*
- All schools’ lead custodians will have a backpack fogger and a small handheld fogger on campus for immediate situations.
- Hands-free hand sanitizer stations will be installed throughout each school for all students and employees.
- A drum with the chemical H2Orange that will be used to sanitize will be set up at each school so that teachers can refill their bottles when empty. H2Orange is a sanitizer/virucide cleaner. It kills 99.9% of specified viruses such as Herpes, Influenza A2, Hepatitis B, and HIV-1.
- Any inside door that can be propped open to eliminate cross-contamination should be opened. This will include (restrooms if applicable, cafeteria, auditorium, classrooms, etc.).
- Each principal shall develop a plan to provide for the movement of teachers and students that will adhere to social distancing standards.
- Maintenance staff will be assigned to spray the playground equipment nightly until adequate equipment arrives for each facility. After which, the night school custodians will perform those duties.
* Materials have been ordered but may not ship until mid-November.
Bus Driver and Bus Protocols
If we implemented the current social distancing guidelines of six feet, we would only be able to carry four passengers at a time. Understanding that these restrictions are not feasible, Dothan City Schools will implement the following precautions:
- Parents/Guardians are advised to check their child’s temperature and assess their health at home before boarding the bus. If the child is sick, parents should keep the child at home.
- Employees’ temperatures will be checked each morning.
- Drivers will be provided a mask to wear.
- School buses will be sprayed twice daily with H2Orange. We do have access to chlorinated tablets. The tablets, when mixed with water, have a very high success rate in destroying COVID-19.
All buses will have hand sanitizer during the pandemic. Students that ride school buses will be encouraged to wear a mask to help eliminate the spread of COVID-19.
Bus drivers must not report to work if they suspect they are sick, or if they have symptoms such as fever or difficulty breathing, or have been in contact with other people who have any confirmed respiratory illness or disease within the last 7 days.
Cafeteria and Meal Periods
Breakfast: Breakfast In the Classroom (BIC) will be utilized for all Pre-K through 6th-grade students. Students will pick-up packaged breakfast meals in the hallway and eat meals in the classroom. A small bucket for liquids and a bag for garbage will be provided. Liquids and garbage should be placed in the hallway outside the classroom for pickup by custodial and/or Child Nutrition Program (CNP) staff.
At Dothan Preparatory Academy and Dothan High, breakfast will be “grab & go” at carpool and bus drop-off points, and students will eat in the classroom. A small bucket for liquids and a bag for garbage will be provided. Liquids and garbage should be placed in the hallway outside the classroom for pickup by custodial and/or CNP staff.
Lunch: Some students will be served in the cafeteria while practicing social distancing and proper sanitation between meal groups. The numbers for cafeteria feeding will be based on 25% occupancy of the current seating capacity. The remaining students will pick-up meals from the cafeteria and return to the classroom to eat. Meal pick-up will be scheduled so that students maintain social distancing in hallways and cafeteria pick-up lines. Proper sanitation practices will be observed in the serving area and in the classroom. A small bucket for liquids and a bag for garbage will be provided. Liquids and garbage should be placed in the hallway outside the classroom for pickup by custodial and/or CNP staff.
Staff Gear: Each employee is being provided by two (2) washable masks that are to be worn at all times inside the building. Food safe disposable gloves and aprons will be worn when serving meals.
Cleaning/Sanitizing: Kitchen prep areas will be cleaned between prep jobs (standard procedure) and serving areas will be sanitized (wipes or spray) between groups. Recommended that classrooms be sanitized before and after meals.
Menu Changes: Menus will remain basically the same. Soups, grits, and other pourable foods will be eliminated to reduce spills. Initially, one menu will be offered at the middle school and high school until the system has been established; then a second choice will be added as long as safety guidelines can be maintained and service times are not slowed down.
Disposable Utensils: All schools currently use disposable trays and utensils. Types of disposable items used will be adjusted for pick-up service (i.e. carryout containers instead of trays), but all packaging will be disposable.
Outdoor Seating: Outdoor seating will be optional at Dothan Preparatory Academy and Dothan High School. Social distancing measures will remain in effect for these areas. Building principals may opt to alter meal schedules to offer this option for students depending upon capacity and weather conditions. Students not eating outside will have meals packaged for pick-up and will eat in the classroom.
It is very important that all employees understand the safety requirements, protocols and expectations to ensure everyone and their communities stay safe and prevent the spread of the virus. We will structure the training plan to effectively disseminate information to all teams and audiences.